Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Diffrence between gearbox versions

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 17th, 2008, 21:49   #1
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Diffrence between gearbox versions

Hey guys i know im not AV ive only turned 16 but i want to know more about airsoft so when i get 18 i will know alot of people to play with and not be a noobie on the way

So my question: What is the diffrence between a V2 or V3 or V4 ETC. gearbox i know you will say v3 more solid or this better but what kind of gun carrys what kind of gearbox and if you know for what purpose?

Thanks alot in hope to make friends haha

Jocelyn
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 22:07   #2
Crunchmeister

IN most basic terms, the differences are the size and shape of the gearbox. To accomodate different body styles, different mechboxes are required. And of course, different sizes and shapes require different internals to match, but basically, all main internal part are identical and perform the same function.

Some mechbox designs are structurally stronger than others. A V3 mechbox shell tends to be more durable because of its shape (more solid metal at the tip that takes all the impact). It has more metal holding the cylinder head in place. A V2 has less metal holding on the cylinder head, and has tendency to crack after prolonged use because of that.
Old December 17th, 2008, 22:10   #3
johjoh

cool thanks but how can i identify witch gearbox a gun has witch could lead to making mods in the future or something of the kind?
Old December 17th, 2008, 22:12   #4
The Saint

This might help, though it's somewhat out of date and doesn't cover the more recent guns.

http://www.airsoftgunrepair.com/airs...rpictures.html

Generally, HK retailer websites would indicate the mechbox version in a gun's description.
Old December 17th, 2008, 22:17   #5
demco11

Google search it.
or look up the gun on redwolfairsoft
It will say what gearbox version that particular gun has.

Also, different gearboxes fit in specific/different shapes of bodies, so a gearbox that fits into a m4 is too different a shape to fit into a m14 or ak-47's body.
Old December 17th, 2008, 23:49   #6
Darklen
Administrator

Mech boxes (gearboxes) are designed to fit into different shapes and sizes of aegs. Some are very strong, others have weaknesses. All have their quirks. Some parts are interchangable others are not. No mechbox is interchangable between different guns (other than maybe the MP5 series, never tried to change the type). So you can't take a version 3 and put it into an Armalite gun (M16/M4, etc.) It physically wouldn't fit and there's no way to make it fit without the mechbox sticking out on the outside of the gun in spots.

Version 2 and 3 are the most common due to the type of guns they are found in. Most commonly upgraded internal parts are interchangable between these two, however some parts are mech box specific (like the spring guide and cylinder head) while other parts are specific to the gun.

Here's a breakdown of the most commonly found mechboxes. There are others, but these are the most common. STAR/Aries mechboxes are plastic (though very strong), but are fairly rare and I do not know if a normal gearbox would fit into STAR/Aries guns. I would think so, but am not sure.

Version 1 Mechbox: FA-MAS series

Version 2 Mechbox: All Armalites ie: CAR15, M16A1, M16VN, M16A2, M4A1, M4A1 RIS, SR-16, XM177e2, M733, M4-S. All G3/G33/CA33 series. ie: G3A3, G3A4, G3 SG-1, MC-51, G3 SAS. Most MP5 series. ie: MP5A4, MP5A5, MP5SD5, MP5SD6, MP5RAS, MP5-J

Version 2 Mechbox ICS - ICS M4 - split gearbox, will not fit any other make of body and the ICS body will not take a normal V2 mechbox. most internals parts are also specific to this mechbox, as in you have to use ICS parts for many internal parts, normal AEG parts won't work.

Version 3 Mechbox: G36 series, SIG 55x Series, AK series AUG series, UMP, MP5K, MP5K-PDW

Version 4 Mechbox: PSG-1

Version 5 Mechbox: UZI

Version 6 Mechbox: M1A1, P90 Series

Version 7 Mechbox: M14

Version 8 Mechbox: Type 89

Systema PTW's are in a league of their own. Nothing on or in them is compatible with a regular AEG. Aftermarket accessories don't count.

Last edited by Darklen; December 18th, 2008 at 00:07..
Darklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 17:38   #7
johjoh

thanks very much for the info on thsat guys atleast i know what diffrence it plays in guns
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank