Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Gas Question: What's The Difference?

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 25th, 2018, 19:47   #1
Iceking007

Question Gas Question: What's The Difference?

Hello,

Instead of actually pretending, I figured I'll just ask and then I'll know the whys and hows ect. so...

I know all gasses are different and some of these are flammable and different densities ect... however I saw one pistol that you could buy either the CO2 magazines for or the C3H8 magazines for.

Can you interchange CO2/C3H8/134a? What is the different in the gasses?

A friend told me that the expensive "airsoft" gas has a lubricant in it otherwise it's the same as C3H8.

Guess I'm just looking for the Newby guide to benefits and why choose one over the other.

Thank you.
Iceking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 20:26   #2
Twin#1[Op-for]

Green gas is just propane with silicon oil inside, but with the price jacked up. Different mags will only work with the designated gas. Not too sure how c02 and propane differ in terms of performance sorry.
Twin#1[Op-for] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 20:36   #3
Full-Auto-Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceking007 View Post
Hello,

Instead of actually pretending, I figured I'll just ask and then I'll know the whys and hows ect. so...

I know all gasses are different and some of these are flammable and different densities ect... however I saw one pistol that you could buy either the CO2 magazines for or the C3H8 magazines for.

Can you interchange CO2/C3H8/134a? What is the different in the gasses?

A friend told me that the expensive "airsoft" gas has a lubricant in it otherwise it's the same as C3H8.

Guess I'm just looking for the Newby guide to benefits and why choose one over the other.

Thank you.
Propane and "Green Gas" are the same, other than propane having the "safety stench" added to it and no lubricant in it. However, you can buy adapters that fit on standard Coleman camp tanks, which are shaped a little better for fitting in a rucksack.

Propane and CO2 also have different pressures and temperature tolerances. CO2 is quite stable and is less susceptible to "cool down," where the gas in your mag cools, contracts and loses pressure as you fire.(Especially in full-auto.) However, CO2 also kicks a lot harder due to this and can break cheaper guns, as well as needing different valves. I'd say in general don't try to turn GG mags into CO2 unless you've got a GHK.

For HFC 134a, you can substitute it with computer duster gas, but unless you have a Japan market gun, there's no point. It's far lower pressure so that it doesn't destroy guns that are made of mostly plastic. (Due to Japanese laws on replicas.)

If it's a gun that can use CO2 or GG, it should be strong enough to handle CO2, but it might last longer on GG in terms of wear. GG also has the benefit of being able to top up your tank when ever you need. CO2, you'll have to waste a half-filled 12g if you want to have a full-pressure mag again.
Old January 25th, 2018, 22:54   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Theres also MAPP, which is propylene.
When it gets too cold to run propane ( from 10-15c) you can safely switch to MAPP and its usually good down to 0c
CO2 pistols take 12g CO2 canisters, so the MAGS cant use other gasses. But sometimes the pistols have propane mags available.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 22:50   #5
Iceking007

So as far as HPA goes, can you use it in other gas setups?

Also... I'm assuming an HPA mag doesn't exist (in order to eliminate the tank/hoses), probably not enough space (to house a strong enough tank that holds enough air).
Old January 29th, 2018, 23:06   #6
Full-Auto-Seer

The closest you can get to an HPA mag is HPA tapping a GBB mag, but that's really pointless in my opinion. You get: Heavy mags with low capacity, A hose running to your gun, a hose that you will have to disconnect and reconnect to a new mag for every reload, and all the possible jams that can happen with a GBB.

While I think that an HPA gun is a bit silly with the hose, I think that an HPA tapped GBB is completely ass-backwards and I have no idea how the idea came about.

I got off-topic. In short: no, HPA mags aren't really a thing.
Old January 30th, 2018, 16:13   #7
Pistol newb

Hello ICE,

Questions are a Good thing, we all have been new to this great hobby, Just remember to use the search function also.

No Hpa mags dont exist, and your right, its because of lack of room. Gas is a liquid as long as its in the mag, it expands when its ejected into the pistol. A gas mag with presuurized air woudnt last more than 5 shots.

However it is possible to buy guns where the Hpa tank is in the buttstock.

I run a Hicapa gbb as my primary in 2/3 of my games, my mags are Hpa tapped, so Im running Line from the tank(in a hydration pack) on my back to my mag.
Yes changing mags takes a second more than if i ran it with gas, and the look isnt as authentic. To me Thats a small Price to pay because Hpa dont have cooldown effect, it just performes so much better than on gas.

Best regards

Ben
Pistol newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 23:13   #8
Iceking007

That's very interesting...

Well I'm glad the mags work well for you. That wouldn't work for me, I'd rather a line to the fun is self like in paintball.

Yes u admit I haven't really been searching lately sorry, I've enjoyed the conversation and up to date informant. ( :
Old February 8th, 2018, 05:56   #9
BobbyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Auto-Seer View Post
The closest you can get to an HPA mag is HPA tapping a GBB mag, but that's really pointless in my opinion. You get: Heavy mags with low capacity, A hose running to your gun, a hose that you will have to disconnect and reconnect to a new mag for every reload, and all the possible jams that can happen with a GBB.

While I think that an HPA gun is a bit silly with the hose, I think that an HPA tapped GBB is completely ass-backwards and I have no idea how the idea came about.

I got off-topic. In short: no, HPA mags aren't really a thing.

A buddy of mine has done this.

I’ll make a few points here

mags are heavy but some people want the realism. Also the real cap

Tapping the mags for HPA, you can now regulate the airflow to control FOS rather than using an Npas and running the rush of chatter in the nozzle. Also with cool down issues and mags freezing.

Consistent airflow. Reduces the amount of FPs fluctuation. So you don’t get FPS drops over the fill period of a magazine if using green gas/Propane.

BA Level 3 Certified
BobbyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank