Chargers

:

Accessories Discussion

Old December 7th, 2005, 03:58   #1
endLess
Banned

Chargers

Hi all! EndLess here!

Can you use that charger that is used to charge RC racer batteries? Arent they all the same?
endLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:13   #2
Grim Fandango

Send a message via ICQ to Grim Fandango Send a message via MSN to Grim Fandango
Posts like these should go in the accessories section. Take a few minutes to check around the sections of the forums first. If you have questions about airsoft guns, post in this section. If you have questions about accessories like mags or chargers, they go in the accesories section. Just saves the mods the hassle of moving the posts to the right section.
Grim Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 06:48   #3
Greylocks

How about searching? If you bother to check how this website is set up, you'll see it's pretty easy to find your answers. Most are 'pinned'.

If you want to play this game, get the right equipment. Get batteries that are rated for airsoft guns. Chargers? Just read up on them. Lots of threads written about them. Dont scrimp.

When you buy a car, you dont fill it with water, right? So treat your airsoft gun with the same basic common sense.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:16   #4
Kid

You can. I do.
The connecters are not the same though. You will have to either get some of the right connecters for the charger...

...you can always do what I do though, take some copper wire, loop it on both ends and shove it in ;-)
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:00   #5
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=10615
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:10   #6
ToRN

Send a message via AIM to ToRN Send a message via MSN to ToRN Send a message via Skype™ to ToRN
^ Jay's chargers rock
Give your head a shake, man. You don't jump out of a shaky car so you can ride in one that's on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
I also noticed for the first time that Bod sounds a lot like Jango Fett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
I like the part where he got banned.
ToRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 20:42   #7
mcguyver

i use an mrc 959 "superbrain" microprocessor controlled charger. they sell it at hobby shops, etc. and it sells for under $100 usually and comes with all connectors for large and small batteries. you can hook it up to a car battery to charge out at a field if needed. i've been using this one for 2 years now and it works flawless. the make other models too that will charge/discharge or do 2-battery charge,etc. but generally rc chargers work well as voltages are from 6 to 9.6v typically and current capacity for fast charge can sometimes be as high as 5 amps. some will do delta wave peak charging and have smart technology to detect a bad battery.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 21:03   #8
gamer123
Banned

I don't see why r/c car chargers wouldn't work. As long as the charger support your battery type (nicd/nimh), with the correct connector type (mini/large) then I'm sure it'll work just fine.
gamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 21:06   #9
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer123
with the correct connector type (mini/large) then I'm sure it'll work just fine.
It likely will not, airsoft connecters are different. Just stick a wire in the neg on the charger and the neg on the battery, same with the pos. That's basically what I do.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 21:46   #10
mcguyver

hey kid rc batteries and airsoft batteries use the same connector unless you have an rc that uses dean's connectors, then just avoid that type of charger. if your in a pinch there are rc batteries that will fit in some guns (large come to mind or the flat 9.6v will fit a peq battery box). don't just stick a wire in the connector, that's risky. if your connection is poor you WILL get heat build up at the connection point and could very likely melt the connector. seen it happen many times and just try to get the battery and gun connector to mate after the battery connector has melted. good luck. just get a proper charger with proper connectors (very easy to find and very affordable) and you won't have a problem.
Old December 7th, 2005, 21:57   #11
gamer123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer123
with the correct connector type (mini/large) then I'm sure it'll work just fine.
It likely will not, airsoft connecters are different. Just stick a wire in the neg on the charger and the neg on the battery, same with the pos. That's basically what I do.
I believe by doing that, there's a possible chance of burning/melting the plastic part of the connectors on charger/battery. Hence, bad idea.
gamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 21:59   #12
mcguyver

BINGO
Old December 7th, 2005, 22:12   #13
Daes

Yeah, RC batteries are a great way to get a suitable battery for your gun, considering they are one and the same.

My most recent battery I made was 2 9.6v NiCad 1000 mah flat batteries rewired and shaped to fit inside my M16 stock given me a dependable and cheap 2000 mah 9.6v. I have also bought the standard 7.2v RC batteries and soldered on an additional cell to make an 8.4v.

Go to your nearest RadioShack (Circuit City) and check the battery disposal box. Usually there are some RC batteries that someone threw away not knowing how to properly condition batteries. Just re-condition and you have a free battery!

You do not need to spend $100's on "Airsoft" batteries when an RC battery, sometimes with simple solder or re-wire, will give you the same thing. Just be careful on your current drain, alot of RC batteries have sucky current flow and rarely peak 5-10 amps drain...

-Daes-
Daes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 23:52   #14
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Guys, be really careful building your own batteries. Make sure you have large contacts to the batteries, that they are connected to one another with large strips of metal and with good hi-amp gauge wire. I've seen some homemade jobs where guys have used the wrong wire and the insulation burns and the battery arcs against the mechbox and causes all kinds of grief. Keep in mind that these guns draw enough power that you can seriously burn yourself if you wire your batteries incorrectly or with the wrong materials. I've seen guns with melted wires, with burst cells and overheated melted buttstocks. You can damage your gun or worse, hurt yourselves. Make sure you get the polarity right when assembling the batteries too.

In your choice of chargers, get an NPT charger that also has polarity protection so that if you hook it up backwards, the charger senses it and reverses. Good quality chargers will do all this. You don't have to spend a fortune on batteries, but a well built battery with a good charger is worth the money because its safe and the NPT charger will condition the battery without the need for dead-level discharges, ensuring your battery gives you the best performance with the longest life.

Heat is your enemy. Electrical heat and friction heat. Don't use prolonged bursts. Even though airsoft guns are able to do them does not mean its good for the electrical system or the mechanicals of the gun.

If you do these things your gun will last longer and you won't be in any danger of hurting yourself with an overheaded battery pack or scorched wiring system.

Old December 8th, 2005, 00:01   #15
mcguyver

amen.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion