A Better Mesh Mask 2.0

:

Airsoft Media

Old June 27th, 2016, 19:35   #1
AnthonyG
LUser Title

A Better Mesh Mask 2.0

Like ShelledPants I'm of a similar philosophy of "Why buy what you can build"

I posted a while back about the TFarge or DivisionOneSix face mask. I liked the hybrid approach of mesh centre portion and cloth sides, to create a protective mask that still allowed you to get down on your sights. Typically I haven't had a problem with traditional mesh masks, but was eager to give the TFarge mask a try. Unfortunately the guy making them only sells them in the UK, and when I contacted him explaining I was eager to give his mask a try, he never responded. Too bad for him...

I took the feedback of Red Dot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dot View Post
Looks like something you could DIY with the right material.
and lurkingknight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
looks like 500d cordura, which would be like sandpaper on your skin if the backside is all cordura and not something like neoprene or something more comfortable.
...and made my own version of the mask.

I can't confirm since the DivisionOneSix website has been down for a few weeks, but from what I remember, the mask wasn't cheap and sold for just under $100 CAD. In the end, if I cost out the price of materials that went into the mask, it cost less than a quarter of that price to make. I ended up grabbing an old sewing machine from a family member, and learned how to sew in the process. A win-win by all accounts.

The mask uses a recycled $5 mesh mask, 1000D Military Green (Olive Drab) Cordura, some appropriately coloured hook and loop I had previously laying around and Invista Coolmax fabric for the interior liner. I also purchased a roll of black and green bonded nylon thread to sew it all together. In the end, Unfortunately I had to spend more than the cost of just buying a TFarge mask, because fabric and thread has to be purchased in minimum quantities, but the actual cost of materials that went into the mask are pennies on the dollar, and I can use the extra material to make other things.

Close-ups of the end result.

Rather than sewing a fixed loop like all of the other mesh masks, I made the loops open-able which allows me to change the type of headstrap I'm using. I can use a single-strap if I have a lot of gear on my head, a double strap type for improved stability to prevent it from sliding around, or basic loops of shock-cord if I plan to run it with my helmet.

After using it for the first time this weekend, I will say it is much more comfortable on your face than a mesh mask; however, after a few hours in 30C degree heat, the inner layer of Coolmax basically turns into a sponge. A plain metal mask is still best for breathability and in hot weather. I'll probably regulate this mask to indoor use where I don't have to wear it for long periods, or cooler weather where sweat is not a major issue.

*Busy signing for his packages*

Last edited by AnthonyG; June 27th, 2016 at 19:39..
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 21:16   #2
Flavio

Wow nicely done! I'm guessing these fit really well with any goggle by the looks of it.

I had to cut my mesh mask like crazy to get a decent fit on my goggles and it's not the most comfortable thing when aiming.

Perhaps the breathability issue could improve with some other fabric or even some kind of foam along the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 21:40   #3
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Eh, mesh masks lost their luster for me once I started playing outdoors. Wearing big bulky helmets and goggles and being super marine tactikewl is neat an all.... but I prefer to keep as light and cool as possible.... meaning I can stay in the game far longer then people wearing 40 pounds of gear on their head alone.

Indoor cqb tho.... mesh mask is required in my opinion. I like not having someones bb grouping on my face from 6 feet away.

Impressive and clean work none the less. How do they fit with revision goggles (desert locust)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 00:09   #4
AnthonyG
LUser Title

I designed the profile to fit first with my Desert Locust goggles, so the profile is near perfect. I also trimmed the bottom of the mesh which I find can get in the way if you ever need to look down or to the side.

The one thing I didn't account for when cutting the mesh was the 1/8" overhang of the fabric where it meets the mesh. As a result the tip of the nose is pushed a bit lower leaving a small gap between at the nose of the goggles. The bottom of the Revisions still mate perfectly with the mask.

With my I-Force goggles the fit is also pretty good. Obviously because these types of goggles are so low-profile its almost impossible to cover your full nose as soon as you trim it.

Last edited by AnthonyG; June 28th, 2016 at 00:11..
Old June 28th, 2016, 19:53   #5
Flavio

Very cool, looks better than some you find in store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 22:25   #6
chaz

Also not a fan of the standard mesh mash and just wanted something to protect my teeth.
This was my approach (Which my squad mates dubbed the bondage-esque mask - Needs some red lipstick)
It mounts to my ear pro with velcro.

OP - Yours looks great.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 22:58   #7
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Yup definitely seen a few variations on that approach floating around ^^^
I like the quick detach. There when you need it, remove it when you don't.

Old June 29th, 2016, 02:35   #8
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Excellent work! I am noticing too how badly mesh masks start to rust that I'm looking for a plastic solution or some coating that would prevent it without being toxic as fuck sitting on my face lol.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:16   #9
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I never wore masks until recently, that's well over ten years and a few teeth later. I decided to grab a mask after having my teeth fixed, so may as well protect the investment. Personally, I don't like breath being forced up into my goggles, heat being trapped in, making my gear more ackward, I don't want more straps around my head then necessary and I don't really care if I get some marks on my cheeks from BBs. So I bought a decent Airsoft mesh mask, cut it down so it covers just my mouth and nose, more or less, and replies it and attached it to my goggles. It's light, it breaths and its out of the way, also, I don't have to worry about my grill anymore, "lol".

I've gotta readjust it for a new set of goggles. Maybe I'll post up some pics when I'm done.

Last edited by Ricochet; July 20th, 2016 at 02:18..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 08:06   #10
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Do it! Although the mask I made is a bunch more comfortable, the extra fabric makes it less than ideal in hot weather, definitly a cool-weather mask.

Still looking for a better hot-weather solution, which very well may be cutting down a standard mesh mask.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Old July 20th, 2016, 09:19   #11
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

here's mine:

Old July 20th, 2016, 20:43   #12
chaz

Just lost my bondage mask in the woods over the weekend so I said fuck it and picked up a set of Sisu mouthguards lol
Never liked the feeling of the masks on my face anyway.
Old July 21st, 2016, 10:30   #13
Grudge
multitech

I've tried mouth guards but find that using comms is nearly impossible.

I like the mesh lowers, but they can be really hard to fit.

I've purchased a James weekend warrior neoprene mask and it fits really nice. But it heats up way too much and directs my breath into my goggles.

I'm looking to hybrid the James mask with a mesh insert. We'll see how that comes out.
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:30   #14
chaz

Check out the SISU mouthguards. Super easy to talk with, drink with, everything you would be able to do without a mouthguard (that sounds wrong)....
Old July 21st, 2016, 13:58   #15
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Check out the SISU mouthguards. Super easy to talk with, drink with, everything you would be able to do without a mouthguard (that sounds wrong)....
Where did you get them from? Only store near me was out of stock. 2 week wait.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media