Airsoft Canada
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/airsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Maddog Airsoft Retractable, Folding M4 Buttstock.

:

Reviews

Old December 11th, 2014, 11:58   #1
siggypoo

Maddog Airsoft Retractable, Folding M4 Buttstock.

Below is my first review ever; please be kind and constructive in your responses.

For $45USD, I purchased this M4 AEG shoulder stock for my We Scar L GBB to use with a RaTech Scar stock adapter. For this investment, I chose to buy from AsiaAirsoft, in HK.
The shipping date was Dec 4th, and today, Dec 11th, I got it.
A single week for shipping? Frikin fantastic! AsiaAirsoft kept me updated and answered all questions, before and after ordering. I will absolutely buy from them again. Their free shipping certainly doesn't hurt!

The stock was well packaged, with no damage to the box or contents. This is the smallest shoulder stock package I've ever seen!

The contained stock was also the most compact yet, one of my draws to it.

In the unfolded and retracted state, it is a tiny bit shorter than the regular Scar stock in its fully extended state.

The package came with the stock, a shortened buffer tube, locking ring, an aluminum disk and long bolt. I presume the disk and bolt are for mounting options, though my installation didn't require them. The bolt is self explanitory, and the silver disk, or washer, has a recess for the bolt head to sit flush. The silver disk fits perfectly into the end of the buffer tube, though with maybe .5mm of wiggle. The tightened bolt would negate that, I'm sure.

I don't know why, but the buffer tube has a single flute cut in the threads on the outside, and two opposing flutes that travel the whole length inside. It doesn't effect installation, and may just be an option for AEG users, this being an AEG stock.

The majority of the stock is a plastic of sorts, maybe glass filled nylon. It has a solid and durable feel. All black parts of this item are metal with varying types of finish. It's surprisingly weighty for its diminutive size. And a pleasant surprise was that both sides of the stock, near where it mounts, have holes for not-included sling swivels, and they work great.

There was no instruction included with the stock, but after a moment of inspection and fiddling, the installation became clear, and full assembly may have taken a couple of minutes.

Starting with the shortened buffer tube, and the lock ring, ensure the lock ring is screwed as far onto the tube as possible with the thin band to toward the threads, and the thick band toward the far end of the tube.

Screw the buffer tube into the rear of the gun as far as possible, then unscrew the locking ring to lock the tube in place.

Finally slide the stock onto the buffer tube, and a small button on the bottom of the stock will lock it onto the thick band of the locking ring. This will also ease disassembly.

That's it! My installation is done, and I'm ready to party!

Now, how is it? What first drew me to this stock is that it folds to the left side of the gun, and not the right. I didn't like how the, err, stock Scar stock blocked the ejection port, and squeezed the back of my hand if I tried to use the gun with the stock folded. This new stock fixes that for me. As well, the stock retracts, like the Scar and M4. But a bonus is that the buttplate can also fold up, making this the most compact full size stock I've seen yet.

When unfolded, the hinge point looks like it might be a weak point, but to my surprise is actually tan painted metal. It feels really quite sturdy, but does suffer a tiny but of wiggle. As well, the stock, when fully extended wiggles a tiny bit too. Now in the fully extended position, it's actually a good deal longer than the regular Scar stock, which is great for my long arms. But, being used to the regular Scar stock, if I retract this new one a couple of notches, the wiggle is almost imperceptible. Also, if the stock is completely retracted (remember, it's maybe an inch shorter in this position than the fully extended Scar stock is), then it's solid as a rock.

As for folding the stock, simplicity itself. Push a small semi-recessed button on top of the stock at the hinge, and it unlocks. I consider that the button placement could be accidentally depressed during a game, but that recessing sets my mind at ease. The button is also rounded, pretty much negating snags.
If the buttplate is folded up, and the stock retracted, it completely clears all controls on the side of my Scar.

However, if the stock is at it's shortest, and is folded with the buttplate down, the buttplate will impinge on the selector.

On the other hand, if the stock is at it's longest, and is folded with the buttplate down, the selector and trigger have all the room in the world.

So, what does this all mean to me?

Pros:
While not pretty, it has a lot of character and visual appeal that suits my Scar's slotted appearance.
It folds up very compact, with a lot of options for carry preference.
Dual sling swivel mounts.
Lower profile to fit my choice of mask and aiming options.

Cons:
No instruction manual.
Buttplate is not rubberized.
The tan colour looks like a plate of broken ass, alongside my We Scar! This won't be a prob for those of us who opt for the black version.
The hinge gives me pause for concern if I game heavy with it.
Hinge and stock wiggle.
Buffer tube wouldn't hold a battery.

Being a chairsofter, I'm glad I picked this up, even for the learning experience. I look forward to stripping it down and repainting it in a better tan.

I hope this was entertaining for you, and I hope you don't find too many errors in my work.

Last edited by siggypoo; December 15th, 2014 at 07:44..
siggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews