Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

So I'm just starting out

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 6th, 2010, 23:12   #1
BlackHatGuy

So I'm just starting out

I have decided that it's time to stop chairsofting and do something. Only one problem. I need a good AEG. Is this one (http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-JG-M5S6-067.htm) from JG a good starter AEG?
BlackHatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 23:19   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The best starter AEG is a used stock tokyo marui gun, found in the classifieds. Not only do you get a complete package (gun, batteries, mags, maybe extras), but you get it for the price of a new tokyo marui. And even if it's a 2 year old stock gun, as long as it's been maintained, it'll still work like it was brand new. And best of all, if you take care of it, it's value doesn't depreciate much over time!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 23:42   #3
Pliskin

Send a message via MSN to Pliskin
The first step to stopping chairsofting is getting out to a game, getting AV'd and playing with a rental gun.

I can't say I've done it yet, I'm more or less financially challenged at the moment, but it's been a plan for months and it's the easiest way to get into the sport.

The reason I say play with a rental first is so you don't drop 300-500 dollars on a gun and some kit and end up hating the sport.

Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 00:20   #4
northcop

In addition to the above your best to stop looking at airsplat. they are based in the US and wont ship to canada and even if they did it would likely be seized on your dime. get av'd and check the boards. Best deals your gonna find are on there.
northcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 00:22   #5
L473ncy

Pliskin has the exact right idea.

It's better to drop $40 or 50 on a day of gaming than buying a $300 gun that you might get $250 for at best (and have it sitting in your closet while waiting to be sold).

TM or similar are still the best way to go because of low depreciation however with other high quality brands (ie. STAR/ARES, CA, VFC, RS, etc.) out there this is becoming less and less of a selling point for TM. However that being said I still have my eyes on some of the TM guns because of the historical high quality control and it being almost a "household name" in the airsoft world.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:53   #6
Thanh
AKA Tsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatGuy View Post
I have decided that it's time to stop chairsofting and do something. Only one problem. I need a good AEG. Is this one (http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-JG-M5S6-067.htm) from JG a good starter AEG?
First of all, the price of the AEG is USD, you won't be able to order in any guns from the states unless they have a clear lower receiver.

Renting gun is def a good option. however if you played paintball in the past, its somewhat similar, but more realistic.
Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:15   #7
coach
aka coachster

So I'm just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh
you won't be able to order in any guns from the states unless they have a clear lower receiver.
Don't order guns from outside of Canada even with clear lowers! You will have a high risk of it getting seized.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:34   #8
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Identify your location please. You may be near local retailers.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:27   #9
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

User location is in Saskatchewan.

BlackHatGuy, please be so kind as to update your user profile to list your location.

As it stands the JG is not a bad choice at all, its not entirely low end and depending on whose opinion you go by the brand itself is actually somewhat decent when compared to a few other companies that are out there. As it stands their quality control has improved over the last few years and many people consider JG a gameable product straight out of the box with out any additional preventative maintenance required.

As mentioned above please remember that attempting to order an airsoft gun from outside of Canada may result in the items seizure by the Canadian border services agency and the loss of your money.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:32   #10
VooDooPeteK

JG is not bad at all for what you pay for it

Bottom line is you have to look at quality for the price.
VooDooPeteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:47   #11
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
If you're new to airsoft, go with a retailer with a good rep for service and a brand with a good rep for reliability. There is nothing worse than starting out with a welfare gun, only to have it fail on you and not know how to easily fix it. Your first platform is a learner, so you need to establish a baseline and rely on the vendor to support the product as you learn and become more independent. Have a look at Plastic Soldier Airsoft in Calgary, Shayne, the owner is a straight shooter and will take the time to talk to you and advise you on the purchase, and will support your purchase. There are also a number of other good vendors in Alberta, but I recommend Shayne because I know him and have done business with him in the past.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank