Stretching Nylon Mag Pouches?

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 26th, 2014, 19:26   #1
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Stretching Nylon Mag Pouches?

I picked up a Condor chest rig the other day for "less conveniently sized" magazines, aka G3 mags, and I've found the pouches to be a little on the tighter side. I'd like to put in some kydex inserts to position the magazines higher/better and ease the insertion and removal of mags so I need a bit more leeway in the pouches.

Now I did a quick search here and on google for stretching mag pouches and the general advice I've found is to soak the chest rig/pouches in hot water (avoiding the gasoline and other flammable substances), stuff in your mags/stretching tool and wait for it to stretch out. I'm sure that works well for canvas pouches/rigs like the chicoms but I think the Condor rig I have is largely nylon (at least the inside of the pouches are) and I'm not sure if the hot water method would work on it, although I will be giving it a try.

Does anyone have any tips or sure fire method for stretching nylon pouches out? I'd like to get at least another 5mm out of the pouches if possible.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:35   #2
5kull

You can't stretch nylon or heat it, it will break instead of stretching. If it's a molle pouch, you might get a little bit of space if you are careful in the way you attach the pouch.

If the problem is taking the mags out of the pouch, attach a small piece of rope or ribbon on the molle, when you insert your mag into the pouch it will push the rope down with it. To pull out the mag, pull on the end of the rope that sticks out and it will push the mag out of the pouch easily.
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 13:13   #3
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
I think its actually might be Cordura, don't know if it makes a difference as I think its still nylon based.

It's not a molle pouch, its one of their chest rigs styled after one of the classic AK rigs. I stuffed it w/ some cut up pool noodles and soaked the pouches with some warm water and stuffed a spacer between the two halves of the pool noodle to stretch it out some more. Don't know if it'd work as you kinda confirmed nylon not stretching but hopefully it does.

Its this rig here:

I actually have problems stuffing mags into two of the pouches, so haven't really got to the part where I need to remove them lol. Two of the pouches (the ones to the left and right of the center pouch) seem to be a bit on the tighter side and I haven't been able to get two G3 mags in there yet without a lot of work.

*update*
Have successfully stretched out the pouches with the "warm water & stuff the pouches with stuff to stretch it" technique. They can fit 2 of the G3 magazines with relative ease now (except for one pouch, still need to work on that), I've repeated the process again and stuffed a few pieces of folded up cardboard between the pool noodles in hopes of stretching it out a bit more. With luck, I'll be able to fit the magazines and thin kydex insert inside the pouch.

Last edited by beta678; June 27th, 2014 at 17:07..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion