Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Short Range Accuracy ?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old October 21st, 2010, 20:46   #1
morati

Short Range Accuracy ?

What factors within an Airsoft rifle determine short range (below 60 feet) accuracy? I use my AEG for indoor target shooting alot as it is quiet and economical to shoot. I save alot on gas as opposed to going to the Range these days. I own a KWA SR10 and for this distance I find the accuracy to be acceptable but I'd like to purchase another AEG with perhaps a little bit more knockdown power but I am wondering if spending double will be worth it.
morati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 20:58   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I can give a bit of insight to this, but it'd be at 30ft (let's say group size x2 for 60ft), best I've seen an AEG do at 30ft is a 1" grouping (MP5s, SIG 552), worst has been Armalites, even with upgrades, absotlute worse has been the G&P SPR, literally got CD sized groups at 30ft, best I've seen has been about 2" benched and semi. So it really depends on ammo, benched or freehand, etc.

What ammo weight/brand are you using?
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 21:08   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Just get the gun upgraded instead of buying a new one!
The factors that affect short range accuracy are the same that affect long range accuracy.
BB weight
BB quality
consistency of your barrel (not the tightness, the CONSISTENCY)
And everything that touches the air that moves the BB, bad airseal means poor accuracy.

Velocity can affect your accuracy, but it's very limited. For example you can have a well tuned 350fps gun outrange a poorly tuned 470fps sniper rifle by a good 40 feet.

Quality parts and quality gunsmithing make the difference. And you can get significant gains in accuracy for as little as a $20 hopup rubber and concave spacer.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 21:15   #4
kullwarrior

In short range accuracy, longer barrel and tighter barrel (6.03 is good for 5.98mm bb and 6.01 is only good if you use 5.95mm bb) will yeild a better result as the bb has less space to move around. This won't hold true much when you go above 120feet.
Old October 21st, 2010, 21:26   #5
m102404
Tys

- consistent compression...is utmost...if each shot is coming out at a different velocity then what's the point?

- consistent hopup application...good rubber...hopup unit that doesn't lose its setting

- good BBs...good finish, consistent size/weight

- 0.25g min...0.28/0.30's are very consistent

- keep it under 350-360fps w/ 0.20's...seems to be a real sweet spot for a lot of setups

- good inner barrel...again, for consistency

- barrel length is (no offense to anyone) immaterial within some reason...I've got a CQBR setup that out ranges (for effective accuracy) bolt guns and many other AEGs...I've had longer setups that shot like hummers too. I've had pistols that could put predicable shots 60ft out. If you get the other items above sorted out....you'll find barrel length not as important. 6.03-6.04mm tightbore is plenty nice if it's a good make.

Not sure what you mean by "knockdown power"...but heavier BBs will smack harder than light BBs. Sound, and felt impact. But realistically you're not going to "knockdown" much more than tin cans with an AEG. (you can shoot up apples and stuff...but you know what I mean re. the power levels of these things).

Now...if you're shooting a PTW Super Max with the silver cylinder...then you're in a different magnitude of power class from run of the mill AEGs. Stil...won't shoot through steel plates or anything like that...
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 21:45   #6
morati

Mmm, good discussion here fellas and I appreciate your input.
My AEG has shot BB Bastard's in .25 and .28 since it was new. KWA SR10's come with a 6.05 (Japanese made) barrel and 425mm length so this is probably why I am able to attain 1" groupings at 40ft. with it bench rested. At 60ft. it is shooting sub 3" groupings. I am assuming this is very good for any Airsoft rifle.
Does the hopup even come into play at these ranges?
As for knockdown power I am currently shooting 370fps with .25s and was hoping for 500fps (target practice only) with the same weight of bb's. (Yes I am considering a Systema PTW Max red M150 cyclinder). Does anyone here think the Systema might be outmatched by the cheaper KWA here? Not trying to make this sound like a slugfest between one manufacturer and the next.......
Old October 21st, 2010, 21:51   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Hop up really doesn't have an effect until 60-80ft, depending on how it's set vs. BB weight.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 23:34   #8
grantmac

Best accuracy should be with the hop off inside 80ft.

Consistency is what you need.
Honestly for what you are doing the Beretta PX4 storm pellet gun is probably a better fit.

-Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 00:02   #9
morati

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmac View Post
Best accuracy should be with the hop off inside 80ft.

Consistency is what you need.
Honestly for what you are doing the Beretta PX4 storm pellet gun is probably a better fit.

-Grant
Thanks, but I already own quite a few Air Guns (including a fully modded Drozd) but they are all too powerful and too noisy for shooting indoors. I use them at the Range out to 120 meters. I find AEG's great for shorter distances and just less of a hassle (no Air Tanks, no need to carry a PCP pump or Scuba tank for filling) just charge up the battery and go. Also, if I miss cleaning up a few bb's its no big deal but my Airguns shoot lead and thats just not cool for the animals that I keep.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:30   #10
grantmac

I find my regulated PCP a little much around the house too.

Although they are generally considered less consistent outdoors, a GBBR makes for a very entertaining plinker.
I'm very impressed with the accuracy of my KJW.

-Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion