Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New guy here!

:

WW1, WW2

Old February 15th, 2009, 22:49   #16
Voice of Reason

ooor, you could do what my ww2 group does, use real guns but fire blanks :P
(we are registered with the government & part of a museum)

It works so much better in terms of authenticity. I mean lets be honest how many privates regardless of his US or Canadian back ground carried a Thompson? not many:P maybe I'm just jaded because I started out with the real guns re enactment, but it seems a bit more correct for a Canadian Private carring a Lee Enfield No.4 but is loaded Blanks. that goes the same for the Bren guns sten guns, MP-40s, mausers, Mg42/34 (and all those other fun german toy I'm constently looking down the barrel of)

although if you wanted to do a US infantry or airborn unit I can see how its possible in airsoft.

I play airsoft to get my modern warfare fix, becasue almost every modern military uses a service rifle that has a full auto feature, (thats how I justify it to my self)

Vietnam re enactments on the other hand! this sport is perfect for it

agian this is just MHO.
(based on personal experience)

cheer,
Mike
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:10   #17
Yorkie

I think probably 90% of our group could fit into blank firing groups tomorrow. The thing with the blank firing reenactors groups (for the most part) is that you have to have a minimum amount of kit to participate, considering this could be well in excess of $2000 in some cases, it's a lot of layout to discover you might not like it.

What I like about our group, whilst weaponry might not be 100% accurate it is something that is being worked on, and anybody can participate in the level 1 games, even if they don't have a stitch of WW2 kit. They get to see what others have and can decide if they want to go further.

I've been involved with projects by the Ermine Street Guard (Roman) and the Sealed Knot (English Civil War) in the past, and I stress this is just my opinion, I think the exclusivity can hamper membership and believe that there should be some sort of mechanism to allow those who wish to participate to do that whilst building their kits over time. Okay, participation in all events might not be warranted, but that shouldn't preclude involvement in the group itself. If we're not careful groups like this can turn into cliques and I really don't want that to happen.

I think the Ontario Airsoft WW2 Reenactors have done that very well, kudos to Leecas in setting this up and organising it the way he has, and up to press we have been received very well by the public, blank firing reenactors and, most importantly, veterans alike. We've surprised a lot of people! We're a young group and improving all the time.

Cheers,

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 13:03   #18
Voice of Reason

I'll agree with Parts of what you have said yorkie, but our wourld war II unit's have quatermasters which is juts a nice word for gear whores, but they have been collecting for a number of years and supply the kit for a vary fair price, my required kit, both Parade and field kit was a total of $300 (all origonal mind you) and thats with the rifle.
$100 dollars later I had a original leather Jerkin (Dated 1942) and a great coat (dated 1944) both with C broad arrows on them.

that being said I will give my Props to Leecas and his ww2 boys, they do look very good and very authentic in the pictures I've seen of them.(they look like yanks )
Old February 16th, 2009, 14:27   #19
youonlywish

If I might put my .02 worth here...

There is one fundamental difference between airsoft and BF reenacting, as far as I'm concerned.

With airsoft, the battle, it's outcome and the way it is fought can be entirely dynamic.

Yes, an 'unscripted' BF reenactment could happen, and that said, I've never been to one.

Yes, it would be nice to have 100% period weaponry with a little kick to it, but at the end of the day, if I'm hunkered down for the night and get surprise attacked, I LIKE the surprise, and further, the CHANCE involved.

Emotions like stress, fear and anxiety CAN be had in airsoft-based WWII reenactments... a massive part of reenacting that, as I believe, just can't be had in it's entirety with BF.

This said, we're both just 'playing army' at the end of the day.

Both have their respectful places in reenacting with equal benefits. I'm particular to airsoft-based reenacting because that's what I'm behind... thats all.
Old February 16th, 2009, 16:43   #20
Voice of Reason

well since I do both airsoft and Real steal Re enactments I'll say this. one has what the other doesn't.

put its simply.

I really think you guys should come out to Borden with us some day
(just to try it out)

get some Garands, and maybe if we feel like being nice a REAL thompson for Leecas

you guys and role with the FSSF

Edit: lets just drop this whole convo, I'd be more then happy to talk with ya'll at a game

cheers,
Voice of Reason

Last edited by Voice of Reason; February 16th, 2009 at 16:47..
Old February 16th, 2009, 17:14   #21
Yorkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
Edit: lets just drop this whole convo, I'd be more then happy to talk with ya'll at a game

cheers,
Voice of Reason
Would love to. It would really be nice to get some crossover, not just of people but of info and ideas.

All the best,

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 18:15   #22
youonlywish

Didn't mean to offend VoR... Sorry if I did.
I'm sure I'll have a chance to shoot the shit with you, in any case...
Old February 16th, 2009, 21:19   #23
Voice of Reason

LoL don't worry Youonlywish, you didn't, it takes far more then well put together and intellegent responces to offend me

I hope I did not you iether
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > WW1, WW2