Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

All M4 dust covers not the same?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old June 4th, 2010, 13:53   #1
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

All M4 dust covers not the same?

Hey guys, so I'm trying to refurbish a TM M4, I got it with a dust cover, but no bolt. So I picked up a G&P dust cover and bolt set.

The original dust cover on the gun did not fit, it was shorter than the hole in the reciever (height, not length)
See photo

So I got the G&P set today and it is still too short.. Was the TM dust cover a different size from all the rest?
Also I can't see any way to make the bolt fit to the charging handle..

I'm a newb when it comes to ripping open a gun so please give me some advice.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:04   #2
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
I was giving a JG M4 a Guarder overhaul using the stock JG furniture, but the JG Dust cover was way too big, which I would assume means that TM stuff would be as well, since JG is a TM clone. I was surprised too.

Long story short: no, not all dust covers are the same. Same may go for related internals and other parts. For instance, Guarder body + G&P dust cover/bolt + JG mech-box = dust cover cannot close enough to lock.
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:09   #3
turok_t

Yup you are right, they are all not the same size. I used to have a CA dust cover and it was larger than a G&P cover.

When you mean bolt, Im guessing FAUX bolt (a metal/steel plate the covers the cylinder and hop up of the gun) right? There are 2 ways that I do:

1. The first is to screw the faux bolt to the plastic arm that is connected to the charging handle. When you pull/release the charging handle, the faux bolt will slide backwards/forwards respectively. However, I find that this method has a drawback: You would need to hold the charging handle back in order to adjust the hop up.

2. Inset the faux bolt so that the tip of the plastic arm of the charging handle is between the 2 raised edges of the faux bolt. When you pull/release the charging handle, it will pull the rear edge causing the faux bolt to be pulled back, and when it is released, it will push the forward edge causing the faux bolt to be pushed forward. This method does not require any screwing or fastening, just simply placing the faux bolt between the plastic arm. I personally like this method because when you gently release the charging handle, sometimes the faux bolt will not be pushed forward completely because it does not have enough force to engage the faux bolt which is tight between the mechbox and the upper receiver. This allows me to adjust the hop up without holding the charging handle back. The faux bolt will only be fully pushed forward when the charging handle is released with the greatest force (most stretched position)

This is the plastic arm that I am referring to: http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/im...lde-arm-m4.JPG

Last edited by turok_t; June 4th, 2010 at 15:11..
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:10   #4
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Pretty much everything part related to the G&P upper receiver is compatible with only the G&P bodies.

Off the top of my head:

-Dust cover is of different length
-Charging handle spring attaches via screw (TM/Clones it attaches via a hook)
-The button next to the charging handle (can't remember name, sorry) is attached via a detent pin (TM/Clones it clicks in with 2 notches)
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:19   #5
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

Thanks guys for the replies.

Looks like I'll just leave the dust cover open. As long as i can get the bolt in place it'll look OK.

The plastic arm has a pin and hole for the screw, but they don't line up with the 2 holes on the charging handle. I could trim it a bit and get the one screw in but it doesn't seem stable to do that.

Time to get creative I suppose..
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:21   #6
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamethis View Post
Thanks guys for the replies.

Looks like I'll just leave the dust cover open. As long as i can get the bolt in place it'll look OK.

The plastic arm has a pin and hole for the screw, but they don't line up with the 2 holes on the charging handle. I could trim it a bit and get the one screw in but it doesn't seem stable to do that.

Time to get creative I suppose..
BIngo, your creativity, exploration, risk-taking and problem solving, you learn the most and you can then pass your tricks to help others.
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:29   #7
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

I'll be sure to post my fix when I figure it out.

One more Q about the FAUX bolt, once it is in it's slot inside the upper reciever should there be a gap near the top? I'll try to get pic...

Last edited by Rooster; June 4th, 2010 at 15:44..
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:51   #8
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Quote:
I'll be sure to post my fix when I figure it out.

One more Q about the FAUX bolt, once it is in it's slot inside the upper reciever should there be a gap near the top? I'll try to get pic...

There isn't supposed to be a gap -- but since the bolt cover serves no real purpose, I'd write it off as insignificant.

I pretty much never install the bolt covers on my bodies since all they do is get in the way of the hop-up adjustment wheel (believe me, easy access to the hop-up is key to fighting against the wind).
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 15:55   #9
turok_t

The gap varies from setup to setup depending on the gun you have, and the faux bolt you have. I have a G&P gun and the faux bolt fits perfectly. Judging by your pics, I would say the gap is insignificant. It might actually better with a bit of gap so that it reduces any scratches on the upper receiver.
Old June 4th, 2010, 16:10   #10
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

Cool. Thanks.

Well, right now I'm tapping a hole in my charging handle with a screw.. LOL Wrong tool for the job, but I don't have any taps that small.. I'm on my way to figuring this out..
Old June 4th, 2010, 16:22   #11
turok_t

Quote:
Cool. Thanks.

Well, right now I'm tapping a hole in my charging handle with a screw.. LOL Wrong tool for the job, but I don't have any taps that small.. I'm on my way to figuring this out..
LOL. That kinda sounds dirty. Anyways, I made you a video of how the faux bolt is supposed to slide. Enjoy

Old June 4th, 2010, 16:41   #12
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

Tap that hole volume 11! LOL

Great vid, and beauty of gun too. I've almost got this figured out..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner